My handmade ring pendant is both mechanical and kinetic. I created this design and handcraft each one from pure sterling silver, using traditional silversmithing techniques. Each pendant is unique and made exclusively for you and your particular ring.
This piece hinges at the bottom so that your ring can be inserted and removed. Two powerful rare earth magnets hold the lid closed and keep the ring secure. A brass ball bearing rolls easily around its middle. When the pendant is complete, it is given a smooth matte finish and both the pendant and the chain are given a subtle patina to visually enhance their form. The pendant hangs on a 24 inch long, 2mm thick silver rolo chain which closes with a secure sterling silver lobster clasp.
This pendant is a variation of a piece I first designed for an ER surgeon whose work often demanded that he remove his wedding band at a moment's notice. He sometimes tied it to his scrubs, but after nearly losing it more than once to the hospital laundry, he wanted a more secure place to keep it. This pendant was a solution to that problem. Since that first pendant, I have been contacted by artists and crafters who work with their hands, women whose fingers have swollen due to pregnancy, and individuals looking for a way to wear an heirloom ring or the wedding band of a lost loved one.
The pendant as shown was created to hold a size 10 or 11 ring in a 1/4" width (6mm) ring. It measures approximately 26.5 mm (1.06 in.) in diameter and 7.5 mm (.3 in) thick. If you have a ring in this size and width, you can purchase the pendant shown in this listing. I will also make one to fit your specific ring. Because of that, the measurements of your pendant may vary slightly.
Please note: Your pendant can also be personalized to include patterned metal, a stone, or some other adornment. Another chain type and length can also be substituted. Please contact me for more information and a price quote if you think you might like one of these options. Also, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about this piece before ordering.
If you would like to see a short video of this pendant in action, you can head over to this Instagram post:
In the US, this pendant will be shipped via USPS Express Mail within 6-8 weeks of purchase. I am very happy to ship internationally; if you live outside of the US, please contact me so that I can check shipping charges for you prior to purchase.
This pendant contains two rare-earth magnets. If you have a pacemaker or similar implant, please check with your doctor that this pendant will not interfere with its function.
HOW THIS WORKS:
If you are purchasing a ring from me for this pendant: Great! Just let me know what you purchased in this listing’s dropdown menus and I’ll do the rest.
If this is a custom pendant created to fit a ring you already own: It’s important to me that we get a perfect fit, so I’ve developed a couple of great tricks for getting the measurements exactly right. First, start by providing the size and width of your ring in the two dropdown menus. At checkout, leave me a note of the inside and outside diameters of your ring in millimeters (check the final photo of this listing for measuring tips). After you’ve placed your order, I will send you two brass sample rings to confirm your measurements; you should be able to fit your ring between the two brass rings. If the fit is good, confirm and send them back in the included postage-paid envelope. If the fit is too far off, I might send you a revised set of samples. I will keep in touch throughout the process and I’m always available if you have any questions.
Buying jewelry to last a lifetime can be a difficult choice. I encourage you to take a look at my excellent feedback and feel free to contact me if you have any questions before making your purchase.
(Please note: This listing is for the PENDANT ONLY. The ring is not included and is shown in the photos for reference only. You are responsible for providing me with accurate measurements. I will make your ring holder to accommodate the dimensions that you give me; if these dimensions are incorrect, the ring may not fit on the pendant. Please note these dimensions in the Notes To Seller field at checkout. After you have placed your order, I will contact you to confirm these measurements. If your ring has a stone please contact me before purchase for special instructions.
Alternatively, if you order your ring from me, I will make your holder to match that ring and will ship both together.)
Payment must be made in full before an item is shipped. I primarily accept Etsy's Direct Checkout and PayPal. You can pay with a credit card or check through PayPal if you do not have a PayPal account. Other forms of payment will be considered but will invariably add time to your order. If you pay through PayPal with a check, I will need to wait for that check to clear before shipping your item -- this generally takes about a week. Please keep this in mind if you are faced with a tight deadline.
International buyers: You may see the phrase “VAT included (where applicable)” under the purchase price. Please note that VAT is *not* included in your purchase price. Despite this confusing language, I am a U.S. seller and am unable to collect VAT. If VAT is due, it will be calculated and collected for your shipment when it enters your country.
All custom orders must be paid in advance.
I ship out most of my earrings and necklaces via USPS First Class Mail, which usually arrives domestically (inside the U.S.) within one week. Wedding jewelry and more expensive pieces are shipped either by USPS Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail, depending upon the dollar amount. For security purposes, I request a signature for items shipped via Priority Express Mail. Let me know if you would like to have me waive the signature for your package. For standard items, you can upgrade the shipping for an additional fee if you need your items by a specific date. I am happy to work with you whenever I can.
I will email you to confirm both receipt of your order and that your order has shipped. Please watch for these emails. If you have a spam filter on your personal email account, you might not receive these emails. Feel free to contact me via Etsy if you do not hear from me, especially if you have questions or concerns about your order.
I will ship to the address on your Etsy receipt rather than the one on your Paypal account unless you request otherwise.
Items are shipped in an attractive jewelry box in a padded envelope to protect against damage.
If your purchase is a gift and you are having me ship it directly to the recipient, I will gladly include a note from you on request-- just let me know who the gift is for and what you would like the note to say when you place the order. I can leave out the invoice on all gift shipments upon request.
Finally, I do ship internationally but I cannot be responsible for any customs fees that may arise on shipments sent out of the United States and I am unable to comply with requests to mark the customs form field as "Gift."
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 days of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
SIZING AND ORDER DETAILS:
Please be sure to provide me with accurate ring sizes. I create each ring for you personally and generally do not stock an inventory of my work. Because of the nature of these rings, many cannot easily be made smaller and can often only be stretched larger by a half size.
If you are unsure of your size, I would be happy to send you a free ring sizer. Using the ring sizer is an easy way to determine your size (or double-check your size if you think you already know it). Please note that going to a jeweler or knowing the size of another ring that you wear is not always an accurate gauge of your size because the equipment that jewelers use to make and size rings may not be consistent. My tools are consistent with the sizers I send out so I’ve found using my sizers to be an accurate way to determine your size.
When ordering, you may want to note the date you will need the rings by in the Notes To Seller section at checkout so that I can account for the shipping time (especially if your wedding date is soon). Also, please write out a quick reminder of any other changes to the design that we may have discussed in emails. Having this information on your receipt is useful as I use it as the work order for making your rings.
EXCHANGES AND RETURNS:
Please contact me if you would like to exchange a ring you have purchased. All exchanges must be shipped to me within seven days of receipt and should be sent back insured. If you do not insure the item, I cannot be responsible for it being lost or damaged in transit.
I allow exchanges and returns with a 25% restocking fee. My policy on exchanges varies depending upon your purchase:
• Silver rings: I am happy to accept exchanges on any silver ring you have purchased from my shop.
• Gold rings (domestic orders): Unless it is a custom order, I am happy to accept exchanges on any gold rings you have purchased domestically from my shop.
• Gold rings (international orders): I can accept exchanges on gold rings that have been purchased internationally but in addition to the 25% restocking fee, return shipping costs will apply.
• Custom ordered gold rings: I am unable to accept exchanges or returns on orders for which you have requested modifications in width, thickness, an unusual size, a custom setting, a custom pattern, or any variation not included in my standard shop listing.
RESIZING POLICIES AND FEES:
I am generally able to make a ring one half size larger or smaller. Some rings, however, cannot be altered once they have been made. Below you will find a list of rings you will find in my shop and the fees for a simple resizing (depending upon the complexity of the work). If you are unsure of what type of ring you are purchasing, I’m happy to answer any questions. The following ring resizing fees apply to my work-- they include return shipping costs:
• Silver rings (domestic orders) – $35 - $75
• Silver rings (international orders) – $50 - $100
• Gold rings (domestic orders) – $35 - $75
• Gold rings (international orders) – For your own convenience, I highly recommend that you have your ring resized by a reputable jeweler in your own country, as the multiple shipping charges, customs fees, etc. to you will be quite prohibitive.
In addition, please be aware that rings with stones may not be resizable:
1. Rings with flush set stones – These rings cannot be resized, but you may be able to exchange your ring for one with a better fit. Please check the Exchanges section to see which rings I am able to accept for an exchange.
2. Rings with a bezel on top of band – Depending upon its style, I may be able to resize your ring.
3. Rings with inset bezels – These rings cannot be resized, but you may be able to exchange your ring for one with a better fit. Please check the Exchanges section to see which rings I am able to accept for an exchange.
Caring for the jewelry you buy from me:
Most of the jewelry in my shop has been given a patina finish, meaning it has been darkened and then buffed so that the high areas are the color of the underlying metal while the low, indented areas remain dark. To keep this jewelry looking its best, there are a couple of precautions you should take. First of all, try to limit the exposure of your jewelry to any chemicals. Chemicals may loosen the bond between the patina and the metal and cause the patina to fade or wash away. These can include dish soaps, shampoos, or household cleaning products. Even hand soaps may include mild abrasives, perfumes, and anti-bacterial agents that may adversely affect your jewelry’s finish.
As for cleaning your jewelry, the recommended method depends on the item. My silver and brass patterned pieces have a matte finish and so can be very lightly buffed with a scotch-brite pad similar to those you might use when washing dishes. My filigree work is given a shiny, glossy finish and should be cleaned with a jeweler’s cloth which can be found inexpensively at most jewelry shops, including those at most department stores.
If your jewelry has stones, I would recommend contacting me prior to cleaning as certain stones are very soft and may possibly be damaged while cleaning. Also, since silver is a relatively soft metal, it is not recommended that you wear your rings without gloves when doing chores like gardening or working on your car, as this could leave scratches on the metal.
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you are ordering. You may have also provided me with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you have contacted me directly.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of bases to collect, use, and share your information including:
• As needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support
• When you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list
• If necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law
• As necessary for the purpose of my legitimate use, if that legitimate use is not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving my services
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Some information about my customers is important to my business. I will only share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
• Service providers: I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Compliance with laws: I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions (such as a mailing list on Google Cloud). As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer (for example, Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified).
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access: You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
• Change, restrict, delete: You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object: In some cases you may wish to object to my use of your information even after you have given your permission to use it (such as when you receive a marketing email). In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain: If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information, you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
As the owner of Down to the Wire Designs, I am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at downtothewiredesigns [!at] gmail.com.
Aug 16, 2018
Chuck did an amazing job of actualizing my dream. We customized this together. I threw in crazy ideas and he molded them into this beautiful one of a kind piece. Couldn’t speak any higher of his craftsmanship and attention to detail. Thank you Chuck for what will definitely be an heirloom piece for our family.
Aug 6, 2018
I absolutely love this ring holder, it was made so well and fits my ring perfectly! Chuck is fantastic and helped to work with my timeframe, shipping needs and everything. Definitely recommend!